Sunday 29 December 2013

Preparation is key


We've had some lovely days to get out and walk this week. Christmas Day and Boxing Day and this weekend were perfect walking days. Unfortunately I only managed to get out for an 11 mile walk today, I've been suffering with the dreaded stomach bug and a lingering cold, but I am still determined to finish my 100 miles in December - the tally so far is 98.98. I will get out and do the extra 1.02 miles (at least) before the 1st January 2014.
 
Training is only one aspect of the Parish Walk. Probably the easiest because walking is what we enjoy doing (hopefully).

There are so many other things to think about before the day of the walk:

Food 
This can be daunting as this is as individual as you are. You can ask 1000 people what they eat on the Parish Walk and you may get 1000 different answers. What works for one person may not work for the next. In fact what worked for me in 2012 didn't work so well in 2013. At the beginning of the day I found I could just about eat anything and the sausages somewhere around The Blackboards were great, but I don't think I would have enjoyed them in Andreas! By the time I reached Ramsey I didn't want anything solid, soup is a great energy provider and easy to digest when the body is extremely tired. 
Dale Farquhar's packed food basket
Some ideas for food on the day : 
- sandwiches cut into 4, crusts removed
- cocktail sausages
- muller rice
- energy bars
- bananas (a firm favourite given the amount of bananas Robinsons sell just before the Parish!)
- soup
- easy to eat sweets such as jelly beans, jelly babies, fudge etc.
- nuts and raisins
- use your imagination but make sure that the food is easy to eat and can be eaten in small portions as you walk.

Statistics released this morning on Facebook ParishWalk showed that there are 100 men and 71 women entered for 2014 - come on girls let's show the boys how it's done!

Sunday, 29 December 2013
Men reach century
 
In contrast with the last couple of years, it is the men that are leading the way by entering the Manx Telecom Parish Walk.

 
M
35

 
F
32
MV40
31

 
FV40
23
MV50
27

 
FV50
12
MV60
7

 
FV60
3
MV70
0

 
FV70
1
Male total
100

 
Female total
71
 
 
 

My tip of the day - don't leave the preparation to the last minute, keep thinking about what you need and if you need to test it out first.

No comments:

Post a Comment